Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Teaching Philosophy:

Enthusiasm and energy are characteristics that define me as a foreign language teacher. If students see me as an instructor who demonstrates a passion for the subject I teach, the students inevitably will be affected (or even infected) by this energy and will engage themselves actively in the learning process. From the beginning of each course, I strive to create an appropriate affective filter in my classroom so that all of my students feel comfortable participating in class, which is a key ingredient to student success. My genuine concern for the linguistic progress of my students, acknowledgement of their language achievements in class, and the use of peer-correction and/or self-correction contribute to a student centered atmosphere. My approach is always communicative and proficiency-oriented, and I use a variety of teaching methods in my classroom, with the ultimate goal of guiding students toward a functional use of English (or Spanish).

Creativity is another characteristic that defines me as a teacher of foreign languages. I integrate a variety of communicative and interactive activities in my classes that focus on the five basic foreign language skills (speaking, reading, writing, listening, and culture); more importantly, I place the students in an active role to foster critical thinking. I also utilize, when the technology is available, computer-assisted/multi-media activities, which have proven to be very effective tools in the language acquisition process. To assess their progress, my quizzes contain a variety of contextualized sections to allow the students to connect language with real-life situations.

Commitment to students is another trait that marks me as a teacher. On the first day of every class, I tell my students that I always have time for them and that I want them to succeed. My ultimate objective is to serve as a lingusitic guide for my students and to provide them with the tools they need to communicate effectively in English (or Spanish) as they prepare to be fully engaged participants in the global community. I view world languages as an opportunity to integrate a multicultural education into schools, and, in doing so, to open the minds of the youth to new languages and cultures. If I can leave this world knowing that I have touched the lives of my students, that I have guided them to intellectual independence, providing them with the tools to think critically and to respect differences in an increasingly more globalized society, I will have fulfilled my calling.

LINKS

http://www.ocec.jp/school/index.cfm/1,html

http://www.ucla.edu/

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/teaching-awards/celta.html

http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/

http://www.itsasmallworld.jp/index.htm

No comments: